Monday, February 12, 2007

Old dart #6 - Home again

5-0:
After the joys of the North I returned back to London Town for a last weekend before the flight home. The Lord's tour was fun, and also gave me a chance to gloat a little. Generally my policy in the UK was to "not mention the war", but it was a little hard not to when touring through the Lord's Museum and seeing the urn recently returned from its Australian tour. Given last night's result in the 2nd one-day final I'm now regretting my restraint; I should have made more of the opportunity.



This prayer is carved into the wall outside Westminster Abbey. I guess there are worse prayers which could be said. I especially like the last line. Inside the building is chock-a-block full of memorials, a vast contrast to the ornate but uncluttered interior of St Paul's. I also noticed that there's all this graffiti carved into the back of the royal coronation chair which is housed in the Abbey. A very human aspect to highly symbolic artefact.

Flight home:
The worst part of the whole thing. Two overnight flights in a row with five hours wandering about Tokyo airport in the middle. I was awake for almost 40 hours straight. The jet-lag took a week to get over (with the worst migraine ever) but all is better now!

Thanks for sharing in my holiday everyone (especially those who let me stay/eat in their digs: Erin, Emma and Christian in London, the Jensens in Oxford, the Waldocks in Cambridge, The Reeses in Sheffield, Izzy in Sheffield, Terry and Ruth in Edinburgh and Doug and Hannah in Dundee), Look forward to seeing you all soon.

2 comments:

michael jensen said...

great to have you back...

no, wait a minute-

byron smith said...

I loved that prayer on WA too.