Thursday, March 29, 2007

Postcards from Karl #1

I have to read 100 pages of Karl Barth before next Wednesday for a theology class. I thought I'd share some highlights as I work my way through it.

God and the human element are not two co-existing and co-operating factors. The human element is what God created ... Between God and true service of God there can be no rivalry. Service of God does not have to be removed in order that God himself may be honoured in it. Where God is truly served, there - with no removal of the human element, with the full essential presence and operation of the human element in all its humanity - the willing and doing of God is not just present as a first or second co-operating factor; it is present as the first and decisive thing as befits God the Creator and Lord.

Church Dogmatics I/1, 94.

What a way to inspire us as we serve others! Our humanity - in all its weakness - does not get in the way of God's work. How can it, given that he created it and has redeemed it? Keep serving my friends, God is at work through you...

10 points for the name and location of this British natural monument.
10 more for the name of the landform from which the photo was taken.

6 comments:

Kevin said...

Hi there

Thank you martin for leaving a comment on my blog.

All the best
Kevin

Anonymous said...

Hi Marty,

The Commando Memorial in Scotland, in between Loch Lochy & Spean Bridge, NE of Fort William(had to look that up in my UK atlas) with Ben Nevis in the background?

Rog

Martin Kemp said...

Rog:
Wow, what a guess ... but no cigar.

Anonymous said...

Hey Marty,
Is it Arthur's Seat in Edinburgh?

Martin Kemp said...

Good job Dan.
Now am I speaking to Derrida Dan or Dan the Vet? Or Dan the geography PhD, or some other Dan?

Anonymous said...

Yes, points!!

sorry slipped off the keyboard when I was entering my web address...