Thursday, February 15, 2007

H*p H*p Hooray

Last Sunday night I was listening to John Safran and Father Bob on Triple J when they mentioned that the words "hip hip hooray" are a modern form of the medieval war-cry "HEP HEP hooray", where HEP is a Latin acronym for Hierosolyma est perdita, meaning "Jerusalem is lost". As such its actually an anti-Jewish rallying cry which, according to this site, was used during Jewish persecution in the early Nineteenth Century. Is this true? Maybe we'll all have to think twice after we next sing Happy Birthday...

In other news I went to this shop in Broadway today and tried on a shirt. Next thing I know the shop assistant is asking whether its OK and I'm turning around to say "yeah" only to find she's stuck her head over my change room door while I'm half naked. How very rude. That's got to be illegal or something. Afterwards she very helpfully informs me that my "colours" are chocolate, lilac and green, and that I'm to stay away from light shades of pink because there are too many pink pigments in my skin. Thanks.

2 comments:

jeltzz said...

it's the juxtaposition of the two stories that makes something truly new.

Craig Tubman said...

Marty,

Wished I'd been reading your blog the last month or two - love the England updates.

Anywho, just wanted to thankyou for your comments on Justins post the other day re. Bell etc.

Very well said.