Thursday, February 22, 2007

Leadership #2



Aside from the practical approach, it seems that others form their concepts of leadership with a particular emphasis on the Pastoral Epistles (1 and 2 Timothy, Titus). Echoing Paul’s emphasis on the Christian maturity expected from leaders, such discussion will have lots to say about the model of Christian maturity expected from leaders, but precious little about what leaders actually do (apart from providing a model of Christian holiness).

Those who dig a little deeper in the Pastorals will discern that Christian leadership finds an expression in the act of teaching the Word (2 Tim 2.2). This is a point well made within my own church culture (Sydney Anglicanism), so much so that from time to time you will hear the old phrase pop up that “leadership is preaching”. This is understandable given the focus we see in the Pastorals, but I have always been a little hesitant to reduce the act of leading to such a simple formula. Have we provided adequate leadership if we only ensure that a vibrant preaching programme has been put into place?

So while we don’t want to be purely pragmatic, a “purely preaching” model of leadership also seems to fall short of what is required. What we need is another approach which can unify and make sense of all these threads…

No points for picking Churchill pictured above. But 10 points are on offer if you can tell me which activity Churchill banned from his office during WWII.

20 comments:

Cav said...

10 points are on offer if you can tell me which activity Churchill banned from his office during WWII.

The Nazi salute?

Martin Kemp said...

Ha ha ... kinda goes without saying I guess, but not the one I had in mind.

BTW, I didn't know you were into fantasy writing...that's if you are the same Cav who is married to Vanessa Gaffney. I checked your blogs but couldn't make a positive ID.

Ants said...

This movie?

or

Churchill banned any talk of any attempt to kill Hitler during the entire war. (here)

or

On learning of the sinking of Lancastria Winston Churchill banned all news from reaching the British public, fearing it would demoralise them yet further. (here)

Cav said...

that's if you are the same Cav who is married to Vanessa Gaffney

Technically no, because she's Vanesssa Cavanagh :)
But yes, I'm the guy who looks like an older version of this guy.

I've only been writing for a couple of years. Well, I've been writing all my life but I've only just started trying to get published and make a go of it.
I've tried all the speculative fiction genres (sci fi, fantasy, horror) but have had the most success with horror, and I'm writing a thriller novel.

Martin Kemp said...

Ants: 5 points for being so informed about Churchill, but it's not the activity I had in mind. Maybe I should pick questions which only have one answer...

The activity starts with the letter 'w'.

Ants said...

Hey Marty, that means I get 1 point per minute searching on Google for the term "Churchill banned". I'm too busy to be well informed.

I must say, the best thing about your blog - is though you are a thinker - I don't feel so insecure as when I visit Byron and Errington's blogs. You're like the nice middle guy. Plus you're still niche!

Plus I never seem to have those uncomfortable social interactions I'm used to when I say stupid stuff to you...

Anyway - what about 'weed' as in marry-ju-wanna? here's a video about it.

Ants said...

I just realised that 'weed' isn't really an activity... unless you're weeding. Which would be strange.

Cav said...

Wicca?
Wabbit hunting?
Whittlin'?

Martin Kemp said...

I don't feel so insecure as when I visit Byron and Errington's blogs. You're like the nice middle guy.

Does this mean Erro and Byron are on opposite ends of the spectrum?? Ha ha!! Erro is becoming more right wing after all...

Thanks for the compliment.

Anonymous said...

Churchill banned ministers from writing in the press.

Martin Kemp said...

Cav: No, No, and No. Interestingly, regarding your first guess, Britian's last witchcraft trial had to do with a witch who was accused of conjuring up spirits who posed a risk to national security during WW2 (at least I think that was the case). I think Churchill was involved in dismissing the case, or something like that.

Anon: Did he really? Makes sense I guess ... but not the answer I'm after.

jodi said...

i'm not going to own up to how many hours i've now wasted on google or wiki (i just hate not being able to find the answer to something!) so marty will you just tell already? .

besides...aren't archaeologists supposed to be more concerned with time frames earlier than the ones you've been quizzing on?

Shane said...

out on a limb- was it women?

Shane said...

or was it cigars?

Martin Kemp said...

Jodi: My area of archaeological expertise was (still is???) historical archaeology, the archaeology of the modern era (roughly AD 1500 on). And anything over 50 years old has the potential to be classed as an historic artefact of cultural significance (at least that was the legislation when I was involved). Keep guessing. Nice photos on your blog by the way.

Shane: No and No. I like how you class 'women' as an activity. You snag.

Shane said...

"In the present age the State cannot control the Church in spiritual matters; it can only divorce it."

was it speaking about religion?

Dave Miers said...

i can't believe that no-one has got this yet!!

it's easy...

he banned the watching of YouTube videos during work hours.

he was a good leader.

jodi said...

c'mon marty... no-one has got it. just tell. you get to keep all the points.

byron smith said...

Whistling. Sorry to spoil the party.

Martin Kemp said...

Points go to Byron.
Churchill couldn't stand it.