Friday, January 19, 2007

Old dart #2 - I know the weather is usually bad, but...

Today 8 people died in Britain because of massive winds. I drove from Sheffield to Bangor (NW Wales), right through the worst of it. Outside Manchester this semi-trailer had been blown off its wheels and crushed a hatchback. I drove right past it; it looked really nasty. I also visited the town my ancestors came from (Rhyl on the Northern Welsh coast). It was literally too windy to get out of the car for fear of being blown into something or of having something blown into you. On the news they said that Rhyl had winds of up to 82 mph. I don't know what that is in kmh, but I know its a lot. Tomorrow should be better. And I thought Oz was meant to be a harsh environment...

3 comments:

Jonathan said...

Hi Marty! Good to hear that you're having a good time over here. North Wales is a great place! I was definitely glad to be inside on Thursday, but I did get a bit carried away writing about my thoughts on the weather forecast here. The pic there was taken not too far from Bangor, too...

Martin Kemp said...

Jono: Good to hear from you, had no idea that you were in London. What are you studying?

Jonathan said...

I've been in London for a few years now, supposedly doing a PhD in maths. I might even finish it one day.